Experiencing False Eyelash or Mascara issues that need tissues? In this blog article, Makeup Artist Genn Shaughnessy helps us with troubleshooting fake eyelash and mascara problems.
MY MASCARA DOESNT LAST. EVER. Even when I use waterproof, it ends up on my face within a few hours and I look like I've been crying.
1. Skincare is more often then not the source of this type of problem. Stop putting your eye or face cream all over your eyes, and lashes. Creams and lotions coat lashes and prevents the mascara from sticking on the lash.
MY EYESHADOW CREASES AND NEVER STAYS PUT
2. Go back and see #1. Same theory. Even when you use a primer. The cream breaks down the products on top of it causing it to crease.
3. Always use a shadow base or primer. Apply a thin layer of it on the lid itself, and blend with a synthetic small brush (concealer or shadow) about the size of your lid. Try something like MICA shadow base or NYX if you're on a budget.
WHEN DOES MASCARA EXPIRE?
4. Look at the box the mascara came in and the tube. See this symbol? 3M means 3 months from when it was opened. MOST mascaras expire 3-4 months so don't push it. Get into the habit of smelling it every time you use it, because one day it's going to "turn" and the smell will become offensive.
If it's not glossy, not shiny, not spreading well, and overall "weird", LET IT GO.
MY LASHES ALWAYS GET SO CLUMPY WITH MASCARA
5. Start using a mascara that's made for DEFINING. What this means is that the bristles on the mascara wand are closer together and make for good lash separating. If you love your mascara, but it's just not very good at separating you can always use one of our STEEL LASH COMBS right after you apply it to get those lashes untangled and less spidery.
I CAN NEVER GET MY FAKE EYELASHES ON RIGHT, THEY ARE ALWAYS SLIDING TOO MUCH WHEN I PUT THEM ON
6. USE. LESS. GLUE. Seriously, I can not stress this enough. They are smaller and LIGHTER THEN A FEATHER, they don't need a lot. Just a wee bit on the band of the false lash is all it takes.
MY LASH GLUE SMELLS LIKE FISH AND LOOKS WEIRD
7. ITS EXPIRED THROUGH IT OUT!
MY FAKE EYELASHES ARE SO STIFF THEY ARE HARD TO PUT ON AND UNCOMFORTABLE
8. First, look at the band of the lash. They should be thin and flexible like fishing wire, plastic thread. If they are cheap costume lashes or they have the pre-glued lash tape on them, they suck and that's why they hurt. Try using Ardell lashes, they're inexpensive and Beautiful. That's what I carry in my studio.
Genn Shaughnessy is a MakeUp Artist in Albany, NY. If you have a MakeUp or Cosmetics question you'd like her to answer, please CONTACT her.